The concept of practicing gratitude is something that humans have done for centuries. Recorded in ancient traditions, rituals and texts and all for good reason, the science of gratitude has profound effects on the human mind, spirit and physical body.
Gratitude turns what we have into more than enough, denial and confusion into acceptance, chaos into clarity, it allows us to make sense of the past and brings peace into the presence and clarity to the future.
Gratitude is a powerful stimulus to inspire happiness and joy, it's the spark that lights the fire deep of contentment deep within.
It is so much easier to be thankful and grateful for life when conditions meet our expectations, when our surroundings are beautiful, the people we are with make us happy, we succeed with our challenges, we eat delicious food, we watch beauty and these are wonderful focus points to begin with when practicing gratitude and highly recommended though they are all still external conditions that provide positivity in life and not always guaranteed.
What happens when conditions are less than desired? When we don’t get what we want, when we are with people we don’t gel with, when we don’t have opportunity and freedom?
Is it still possible to be grateful then?
The constant search for good outside our being can limit our gratitude along with happiness and all other positive levels of being…
But what if you could still be grateful, content, joyful in any moment? Any situation?
And trust me it doesn’t happen over night - maybe unless on the chance you become enlightened ...
The practice of constant awareness of gratitude WILL slowly seep into the darker less desirable aspects of being when practiced with commitment, acceptance and awareness.
Imagine being able to be surrounded in any situation and feel immense grateful content just for the miraculous ability to breathe, to see, to feel your heart beating this is real this is the core of life, the simplest form of being is the most magnificent.
just be HERE NOW…
The natural instinct of the brain is to focus on what could be wrong ,the danger, what needs to be fixed to reach solutions and in a natural world this would be crucial, though in modern day society our minds are over saturated with egoic pressures of having to be the best to have more, do more, be more, in order tone successful to belong and to feel supported. To reverse this mindset not being or having enough is to practice gratitude, to appreciate what we have and embrace every moment.
- Practice mirror affirmation, looking yourself in the eyes, I am beautiful, I am enough, I am love, I am supported, I am strong, I have more than enough, I am grateful.
- Bring awareness to be thankful for what you have in the present moment.
- Be here now in full acceptance of all that is in every moment
- Express gratitude, say it out loud, scream it, share it, draw it, sing it, dance it, write it, be it!
Benefits of Gratitude:
- Builds strong relationships and communities, we increase our ability of acceptance for others, to forgive and open our minds to a wider point of view.
- Gratitude shared in community builds support, compassion and a feeling of fulfilment together.
- Sharing gratitude inspires others to practice gratitude and uplifts communities.
- It over powers negative emotions, boosting positivity, joy, compassion and encourages us to attract and connect with the higher vibrations of life
- A frequent practice of gratitude attracts more gratitude, it snowballs and has long lasting positive effects on mental and emotional patterns.
- Studies have shown that even a single thought of appreciation and gratitude immediately reduces patterns of depression and when this practice becomes a habit you are subconsciously equipped with a powerful tool for coming back to centre in any moment.
Recommended Read - Flourish by Martin Seligman, A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being